SLIDER

WELCOME


Self care, skin care, & nurturing Mother Nature.

Read more here

Trying to live a more minimal and conscious life in search of pure happiness and joy

The Body Shop's Matte Lip Liquid



Another Wednesday, another lip product post. I would say I'm sorry that the blog is a little bit lipstick heavy lately but I'd be lying and it is my favourite makeup product to buy, try, and wear so it kind of makes sense that I feature so many of them on the blog. The Body Shop have a great deal recently which was if you spent over £50, you got 50% off. I knew I wanted to try their new matte liquid lipsticks and a I needed to pick up a few other things, so of course I jumped on the chance to get them a little bit cheaper (which meant I could buy more because that's apparently how my logic works). These matte lipsticks seem to have sprung onto the market from nowhere and I had seen people saying some great things about them and if you say "matte" and "liquid lipstick" in one sentence, you can pretty much guarantee that my interest has been well and truly peaked.

These lipsticks retail for £6 so they're really affordable and I can say that right off the bat, they are very similar to the highly coveted and loved NYX soft matte lip creams just they're 50p more for the same 8ml. The colour range isn't as extensive as the NYX soft mattes but it is still a solid range with your choice of nudes right up to your brighter pinks, reds, and darker shades. I picked up four shades which are my usual go-tos: Windsor Rose, Crete Carnation, Sydney Amaryllis, and there was a dark plummy shade - Tahiti Hibiscus - got thrown in the basket too. As you can see even from the choice of names for each shade, The Body Shop have definitely taken some inspiration from the NYX soft mattes in more ways than one. Having since tried these colours, I definitely want to pick up the majority of the other shades so let me tell you why.



The actual formula of these lipsticks is so smooth. You might notice from the photos above that there's not a lot of product on the wands and that's because the formula is more like mousse than liquid. Although it sounds like a terrible thing to say, it almost reminds me of the dreaded nostalgia of the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse or the Collection Cream Puff Lip Creams. There's literally no drag on the lips when applying the lipstick with it's classic doe foot applicator and the formula feels really velvety and soft to the touch and when you smack your lips together as there's no stickiness. As the name suggests, they are a matte lipstick but they do take a little time to dry down and even when they do, they don't dry down completely which I actually quite like. I'm all of those rigid, "no going anywhere" matte liquid lips but wearing them all the time can take it's toll on your lips. These ones give your lips a bit of nourishment and a bit more freedom of movement which is a welcomed change in my current arsenal of lip products. Whilst they never dry down completely and whilst that does mean they transfer, after trying the darkest Tahiti Hibiscus shade first, I noticed that it also acts as a slight lip stain too which is great and means the product does not go patchy. This is music to my ears - especially for this darker plum shade - because I love my NYX soft matte lip cream in the shade Copenhagen but I do find it goes on patchy as can my Lime Crime Wicked and Beet It from time to time. This one glides onto the lip effortlessly and can be layered up as much as needed without going crispy or bleeding into the fine lines around the lips - amazing.

From left to right: "Windsor Rose", "Crete Carnation", "Sydney Amaryllis", and "Tahiti Hibiscus"

One thing I should mention though is whilst these lipsticks are pigmented and have a great colour pay off, I do think the colours are slightly more sheer than other liquid lipsticks I own. I don't mind this at all but I am mentioning it because the shade of the actual lipsticks is sometimes at least 3 shades lighter than the shade the tube makes you believe it will be. I think this seems to be a new movement in lip products as brands such as Chanel and YSL are bringing out more sheer washes of colour and as these lipsticks from The Body Shop are so nourishing and comfortable to wear, I really don't mind the colours not being *as* bold as the likes of Lime Crime Velvetines. One thing I'm not too keen on though is the scent. The Body Shop are well-known for their strong, statement scents for their hand creams and body conditioners but this product I do find a little overpowering. It's a very fruity, tropical sort of scent which is nice, but it is one of those scents that instantly makes my head hurt. Luckily, the scent does go away once the product has dried down but it is something to bear in mind if you're not big on scents - especially when they're from a product that will be right under your nose!

Wearing shade "Windsor Rose"; the perfect pale brown classic nude

Wearing shade "Crete Carnation"; a classic dusky pink rose/nude shade which really suits pale skin tones

Wearing shade "Sydney Amaryllis"; a really bright red shade with slight blue undertones mixed with a more raspberry tone

Wearing shade "Tahiti Hibiscus"; a vibrant plum shade - not as dark as the tube so it's a really bright berry tone that's a little different

The last thing I really need to mention about these lipsticks are their longevity. Liquid Lipsticks, particularly matte ones, have been so popular over the last couple of years because they're usually long wearing and can tackle just about whatever you throw at them and stay pretty much intact. These lipsticks aren't *that* long wearing as they do transfer and they're a bit on the sheer side however I really don't see that as a bad thing because of one redeeming factor. When I first tried Tahiti Hibiscus I had a few cups of tea and a big greasy burger and fries and was really surprised with the results.

After drinking tea, it did transfer to my mug but the lips themselves didn't look like they had lost any colour which was great. Now, when I had the burger, I was fully expecting to end up with the plummy shade all over my chin/nose/face in general and be left with that horrible "halo" effect around the outer line of my lips. Instead though the lipstick came of completely. Like I mean there was no trace that I had ever had quite a pigmented, dark lip shade on my lips beforehand. I personally think this is amazing because it makes it so much easier to reapply a lip product if all previous traces of it are wiped away so rest assured; whilst this lipstick might not withstand a greasy meal, it will wear down evenly and not make you look clownish once you're finished eating which is such a bonus.


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

© NB • Theme by Maira G.