Rimmel Volume Shake Mascara



Happy hump day you wonderful lot! Just a quick review from me today as I'm currently sat in the café at the airport awaiting my flight to my glorious homeland, Newcastle. I'm having a couple of days break at home to see family and friends because I had the horrible realisation the other day that I haven't seen them all for 4 months and well, that just will not stand. I've managed to blitz through duty free and spend money (why does this always happen?!) so some more beauty review posts will be coming in due time, but for now, let's talk about the latest lash offering from Rimmel London: The Volume Shake mascara.

This latest offering retails for around £8.99 in most drugstores (definitely available in both Boots and Superdrug) and intrigued me because it promises clump free mascara and volume. Often those two things don't go hand in hand and to be honest, I'm usually not that fussed if I have a bit of clumping, but some mascaras (I'm looking at you Maybelline Great Lash!) have a little too much clumping for this lass to handle. So as it was on an introductory offer of around a fiver, I thought I'd give it a go. If you've been a reader of NB for a while, you'll know that I'm not fussy when it comes to mascara - until recently I didn't have a favourite that I continuously repurchase - so it's the one product other than lipstick that I will try and test as many as I can get my hands on.
So, let's talk about the product instead of waffling!

The first thing I noticed about this mascara is the weight of the product - guys if you're used to drugstore brand mascaras feeling cheap because well, they are, this one will make you question reality. The product is really weighted and the bottle is sleek in it's design reminding me of a cocktail shaker. Because of the shape and the promise of no clumps, I somehow convinced myself that the mascara would have a click to it's shake - just like those nail varnishes with the balls in the bottom to stop the formula from going gloopy or the click in canister sprays - but alas, it doesn't. When you actually open the product and inspect the wand I've got to be honest, it didn't seem like anything special. The wand is a good standard length, the lid is a nice size and shape to hold for application, and the wand end is your classic bristle style. The formula on the wand seems very thin and guess what? That's how it transfers onto the lashes. If you're a girl who likes lightweight, barely there mascara, you will probably like this. Although this mascara is black in shade, as it is such a thin formula, I personally feel that it doesn't coat the lashes as darkly as many of my others do. Inspecting the wand even closer though, one great thing about this mascara is the stopper/formula/magic of it prevents it from sticking to the wand meaning you don't waste any product so it's certainly good value for money in that respect.



Now, when I first put this on my lashes I absolutely hated. it. It seemed very much like a nothing product so I waited then applied another layer and oh my good god, I hated it some more. Although it did stick to its guns and remain clump free, it somehow managed to separate my lashes into about 5 individual ones by clumping them together. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I've got really good natural lashes - they're one of the few things I like about my appearance and I guess that's why I'm usually not fussy about mascara as they naturally have a good curl, length and volume to them but a mascara that was eradicating all of these pluses? *insert Simon Cowell "it's a no from me" gif here* - I think I'll pass. It honestly felt like the formula was *too* wet for it to work - I know that sounds silly as you obviously don't want a dry mascara, but this seemed to just slip over the lashes instead of grabbing and coating the lashes. I tend to like full lashes so I wanted a lot more volume than this guy could give.

I didn't want to give up on it though as I've managed to make most mascaras work for me at least until I've used them up and swore to never buy some of them ever again. So after persevering with it, I think I've got it cracked. One thing I will say about this is that it is extremely true to its word - it doesn't clump and the formula stays so so fresh in the bottle. Unlike many other mascaras I own and love, this formula doesn't seem to dry out which I'm convinced has got to be some sort of witchcraft. Whilst I know a lot of people will love that quality of it, I personally like a mascara that dries out a little as I feel it clings to the lashes so much better and is much more manageable. So to counteract it's freshness, I tend to remove the wand from the bottle and leave it chilling on my bedside table whilst I do my eye makeup/brows. By time I'm finished, the formula on the wand has gone a little more tacky and seems to work so much better for me. If you're someone who likes really natural lashes, barely there makeup looks, or doesn't wear makeup often and therefore finds a lot of their makeup products tend to dry out/go out of date, this is definitely one for you to try out. I've learned to like aspects of it but I probably wouldn't buy it again as it's more effort to put on than any other I own - even those that tend to make my lashes clumpy! Another redeeming thing about it though is if you have used a mascara that has clumped up your lashes to no end, this is a great little product for putting on top as it somehow smooths out clumpy lashes and makes them long and fluttery again. I would still recommend the Wonder'full mascara from Rimmel over this one if you want a natural, fuss free Rimmel option. If you hate the feeling of heavy lashes, both of these mascaras are great choices.



Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment